The Curious Tale of Soccer Team Names

by melissa on March 20, 2012 · 12 comments

We started Big Roo in soccer at age 3. Not because we were training a mini-Pelé but really because it’s just so stinkin’ cute.

With soccer teams come team names. When I signed him up, I didn’t really give it much thought. I pictured cheering for something like the Bears or the Eagles or the Kickers.

What I didn’t expect was any of the hilarious names we’ve had over the past few seasons.

Under the Sea

For Big Roo’s very first team, we cheered for…. the Lobsters!

The entire league was made up of cute, innocent ocean names like the Dolphins, the Starfish and then, oh yes, the crustaceans with claws that we eat on occasion. That name gave me a chuckle every time I said it.

Fluffy & Frilly (or Not)

When Big Roo turned 4, we hit the soccer fields again. We ended up with the same red jersey but the name was oh so different.

Ready?

Gooooooo Poodles!

Poodles?

This league was made up of Bulldogs, Retrievers and then someone decided 4-year-olds wouldn’t mind being called Poodles. Heh.

Lucky for us, even the coach couldn’t deal. She changed the team name to the Boxers. Muuuuch better.

Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy

Now Big Roo has moved onto the “bigger” league that goes up until age 12 or so. He has a real jersey (not a screen-printed t-shirt) and even in the picture below, he’s looking so much older.

So I figured we’d get into less kiddy cute names but oh was I wrong.

This year? I’m cheering for the Blueberries!

Hence the blue shirt. In the league, we have teams like the Kiwis, Strawberries, Grapes and Bananas (so many jokes I could do like “squash those Bananas!”).

I love that Big Roo was attached to Burt, his withering pink bear, at the beginning of his first game. But Burt ended up sitting with me on the sidelines cheering Big Roo on.

For all the making fun of the names, I know that Big Roo will move to the “normal” names soon enough. So I’ll enjoy the quirky, cute team names and enjoy it while it lasts.

What wacky team names have you heard that make you chuckle?

1 Fadra March 20, 2012 at 10:30 am

That’s so cute. I would totally be more into sports if they had names like the Blueberries! I mean, they’re totally full of anti-oxidants!!
Fadra recently posted..Feeling Beautiful in Only 20 Minutes (or so)

2 melissa March 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

True true!

3 Kim March 20, 2012 at 8:10 pm

That is too cute! At our club there is one team of U12 girls called the Fire Breathing Gummy Bears. :-) My oldest just reffed a game of theirs last week. I hadn’t heard of that name before then.
Kim recently posted..I don’t get basketball….

4 melissa March 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

OMG– that’s hysterical! I’ve never heard that one before. Haha.

5 Paula@Simply Sandwich March 21, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I so loved this because I can remember my kiddos at this age and giggled about their fierce soccer names too!

One year my son had a green uniform and they were named the Green Pythons. Cool name right? Unfortunatly, the team mom spelled it wrong on the banner and they were know as the Green PHYTHONS! Bahahaha!
Now that he is in a U14 league, their name was The Guys. Bam! :)

6 Mandi March 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm

So cute! I like that your league has a theme each year. We put my 5yo daughter in soccer last fall and she was the Smurfs. Not very tough sounding! Gooooo Smurf’s!

7 Leigh Ann March 22, 2012 at 12:13 am

When i played we chose our own names, but one year when we were wracking our brains and couldn’t come up with anything, we somehow settled on the Stallions. A group of 6th grade girls named after male horses.

8 Alissa March 22, 2012 at 12:42 am

Lobsters are my favorite with the blueberries in at a close second.
Alissa recently posted..Secure Apples, Swimming Seals and Squealing Laughter (11/52)

9 Andrea March 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I love it, Mel. My kiddo wasn’t on a team, so we didn’t have that aspect of soccer. But she enjoyed the running around stuff all the same. :D
Andrea recently posted..the sleepiest moment

10 Yolanda March 24, 2012 at 2:09 am

Excellent post! I’ll definitely be pinning this !
Yolanda recently posted..Bacon, Nectarine and Feta Salad, with a Honey and Balsamic Dressing – Bacon Connoisseur’s Week

11 Robert M. Nguyen April 30, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thanks for posting this informative post. I like the content because its very easy to understand. And the topic captures my attention. Keep on posting like this and more power! My Latest Blog Post
Robert M. Nguyen recently posted..My Latest Blog Post