Capture the Everyday: Playing with Your Kids

by melissa on May 26, 2011 · 9 comments

Capture the Everyday is about getting you to capture those everyday moments in your life! Each Thursday, I’ll issue a simple challenge to capture something that’s a part of your daily life. You can post just a picture or add some words to go along with it. You’ll have a week to get it done and then I’ll issue another. It’s a quick, easy way to start capturing those little parts of life we sometimes take for granted.

This Week’s Assignment:

A Picture of You Playing with Your Kids

This is a tough one, right? We’re usually the ones TAKING the pictures. Being the sentimentalist that I am, I want my kids to have pictures of me when I was “younger.” Maybe they’re boys and just won’t care, but I know I will. Playing with the kids is something I do daily so why wouldn’t I want to capture it?

I’ll also say it’s hard as heck to capture with a self-timer. In fact, I could only get the little guy in the shot.

Little Roo loves this toy. It’s a hand-me-down from my half-brother (who’s over 20 years younger than me). It doesn’t really work well but it makes pirate noises. That’s enough for any boy to be mesmerized.

For good measure, I also snapped a picture of Daddy Roo playing with the kids. Well, it’s more like the kids having fun sitting on Daddy while looking at who-knows-what. I love pictures like this because they’re real. Not a perfectly posed shot at the beach (which also have their place but you get my point). This is my life, silly and fun and just plain normal. I like it that way.

Next Week’s Assignment: Something you’re good at

Your turn!

If you want to participate, just a few things to note:

- Grab the badge (code is in column to the right):

- Feel free to write about what you captured. A funny story about it. A history on it. How you’ll remember it. What will you want to remember about that picture 20, 30, 40 years from now?

- Just a picture and a caption are fine too.

- Don’t worry if you “aren’t a good photographer.” Consider this practice. Plus, it’s about capturing the memory, not a pretty picture.

- Visit the blogger ahead of you and as many others as you have time for.

- Leave a comment below (this notifies me through email that you linked up).

1 Losing Brownies May 26, 2011 at 1:36 am

I love the pictures I have of my parents with me as a kid. I want The Boy to have those too!

2 Joules May 26, 2011 at 4:08 am

You did a bang-up job! No copping out at all:) I think even boys like seeing those sweet, simple everyday kind of pictures just to assure them that they were loved even on the ordinary days.
Joules recently posted..Capture the Everyday – The Copout

3 Alissa May 26, 2011 at 7:34 am

I had never really thought of how much Liam will enjoy everyday pictures of all of us when he is older. Love the picture with Daddy Roo as my little guy loves climbing all over us all the time.

4 Kelli MW May 26, 2011 at 9:06 am

Really enjoyed this assignment; it’s so true that we tend to take photos of ourselves for granted. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Capturing moments of our children is important, but photos of us *with* our kids are just as special.
Kelli MW recently posted..Living Out Loud

5 Erin May 26, 2011 at 10:51 am

When my oldest was 2 I realized I only had a handful of pictures with him. It looked like my husband was raising him alone because I had a million pictures of them together. I decided then I would have to step in front of the lense occasionally.

6 Angela Johnson May 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Ok I love this idea…perhaps my kids are bit to old for me to participate. I have a 20 and 13 year old kids. Aventuroo is it possible for me to try this task?

7 Lady J May 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Wow! Quite a smart idea to use the timer to take the photos of you playing with your kids. Love this week’s assignment and I’m joining in the fun with my fur-kid. Hehe..
Lady J recently posted..Capture the Everyday- Playing with Your Fur kids

8 Monica May 30, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I have been such a bad follower lately…my apologies, but I am here now!! Unfortunately, I am not if the photo’s but I had to take the photo’s and well, I wasn’t going to risk the camera around the pool…but I think you’ll get the idea of what we’ll be doing together as a family this summer!!

Monica