How to Make a Paper Bunting

by melissa on March 1, 2011 · 23 comments

Pin It

What’s bunting you ask? Well, it looks like this:

Most buntings, or pennant banners, I’ve seen use fabric. While I like that look, I don’t own a sewing machine and sadly can’t sew a thing. But I do have lots of scrapbook paper so I thought I’d make a paper one instead.

Supplies (exact supplies I used in parenthesis):

1. Cut your paper.

With your paper trimmer, or a pair of handy scissors, cut your paper in half into 6 x 12 strips. Once you’re done cutting your paper into strips, fold each one in half to form a 6 x 6 square. You can use a bone folder to get a nice crease.

2. Cut squares into triangles.

With the fold at the top, make a small pencil mark at the bottom center of the square. Then, cut each side from a top folded corner to the pencil mark.

You’ll end up with a nice triangle. If you want, you can use a paper scraper or even your fingernail and scrape or “distress” the sides a bit.

3. Paint & glitter the letters.

Paint your chipboard letters. Easy enough.

Once the paint dries, squeeze some glitter glue onto the letters and brush it over the letters. Let try.

4. Assemble the bunting.

Using glue dots (or double-sided tape), attach the letters to each triangle. I left one blank for the space between Happy and Birthday.

Unroll your ribbon and grab a triangle. Leaving about a foot of ribbon to hang up the banner, open the triangle and place a one-inch piece of double-sided tape under the crease.

Lay the ribbon on top of the tape and then place another strip of tape over the ribbon. Fold the triangle over the ribbon and put a small piece of tape at the bottom to keep the triangle together. Keep moving down the line until you finish your bunting!

5. Hang it up!

We put two small nails above our door frame and tied the ends to the nails. Worked perfectly!

If you like this tutorial, don’t forget to stumble, tweet or like it!

1 jen March 1, 2011 at 9:43 am

Love how you have the paper folded over the ribbon. Never would have thought about that! I love adding the bunting for a birthday party or shower. They are so easy but add so much! Very cute!

2 Alessandra@ Tribal Times March 1, 2011 at 9:52 am

Great idea- love the paper you found! But I do think a sewing lesson should be in the works!
Alessandra@ Tribal Times recently posted..A clever imperfection

3 Losing Brownies March 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

Thank you for sharing this! I will keep this project in mind for The Boy’s first birthday.

4 Alexandria Campbell March 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm

That seems so simple. You’re bunting looks great. I would have thought it was store bought.

Ps. I stumbled it
Alexandria Campbell recently posted..So this is what I wore…as I did it again

5 Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting March 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

OMGosh! I love this!
Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting recently posted..1000th Post! Whoa

6 Allison @ Alli 'n Son March 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’m in love with this idea, especially the numbered paper, so cool. Actually, my son’s birthday is coming up, this would be perfect for him.

P.S. I stumbled this, because it’s that awesome.
Allison @ Alli ‘n Son recently posted..virtual coffee

7 Crissy March 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

This is truly adorable, I have bookmarked this for Evan’s next birthday party, thanks!
Crissy recently posted..Announcing a New Feature on Dear Crissy—Check out the Photoblog!

8 Angela March 1, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Melissa
Love the banner. It looks like hard work. Your awesome for doing this. I tweet this post so other Moms can get the hook up on the banner.

9 Jamie March 1, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Adorable. Making a bunting has totally been on my to-do list. Yours is super cute!

10 Tracie March 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm

It came out so very cute. I love it!
Tracie recently posted..The Art of Journaling

11 ConnieFoggles March 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

What a lovely craft! I’m not that talented, but I may give it a go for a very special occasion.
ConnieFoggles recently posted..Being Distracted Didn’t Work

12 Missy @ Wonder, Friend March 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I love this! Bookmarking and hoping my inner crafty person can pull this off. :)
Missy @ Wonder, Friend recently posted..Just Let the Zombies Have It

13 Lisa March 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Just made this! I am soooo excited. It turned out awesome! I did it in grays, whites, and yellows for a baby shower I’m hosting for my sister-in-law. I am hoping it can hang outdoors for a couple hours, but if not, I’ll just hang it inside and it’ll still be adorable! Thanks for sharing. :)
Lisa recently posted..Friends

14 Mary August 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm

This was fantastic! I made my own banner and it worked amazing, this is a really good/simple/easy idea.

15 cindy September 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just went crazy making bunting for my twins first birthday! This is so easy and cute with a big impact. I think this is my new favorite craft! Is it acceptable to give bunting away for Christmas gifts? haha!! Thanks again!

16 melissa September 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Thanks, Cindy! I agree that it has BIG impact… now you’ve got me wanting to do one for Christmas!

17 Kelly November 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

I happened upon this tutorial when I was looking for ideas and instructions on making a Thanksgiving paper bunting for my staircase. Great tutorial. I pinned it :)

18 Jannean December 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm

This was so easy! I made it in no time flat! Thanks!!

19 Ashley Bush April 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

What size letters did you use? I’m going to use my personal cutter to cut them, but don’t know how big to make them.

Thanks!!

20 *LyndiLou* November 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Thank you SO much for this great tutorial! :) I was asked to make a banner for a church event and I didn’t really know where to start. You made it SO easy!!! I hadn’t thought of folding the paper over the string… I thought I would need to punch holes in each and tie them together or something crazy. I am SO glad I found your post instead of just trying to wing it myself. I will be using your technique many more times in the future! THANK YOU!!! *:D*

{ 3 trackbacks }