Capture the Everyday: What’s on Your Nightstand

by melissa on March 3, 2011 · 22 comments

Capture the Everyday is about getting you to capture those everyday moments in your life! Each Thursday, I’ll issue a simple challenge to capture something that’s a part of your daily life. You can post just a picture or add some words to go along with it. You’ll have a week to get it done and then I’ll issue another. It’s a quick, easy way to start capturing those little parts of life we sometimes take for granted.

This Week’s Assignment:

We have a first floor master so our bedroom gets cluttered pretty quickly (that being said, I actually like having our bedroom downstairs even though I almost had buyer’s panic remorse at first). On my nightstand is…

- A lamp from Target we’ve had since we got married. The chain to it hits the base of the lamp every time you touch it and goes “ding ding ding.” Too bad I don’t win anything but being annoyed.

- An alarm clock that isn’t anything fancy but it wakes me up in the morning so who cares?

- Some diapers and wipes since Little Roo’s changing table is upstairs

- A couple of books that I pretend that I’m reading

- A notebook where I got down all the ideas I never have time to follow through with. I also mindmap blog posts in that notebook.

- A kids microphone that Big Roo loves to record funny noises with and play it back to himself.

- The top of a little jewelry box from Costa Rica. The rest of it is actually on my dresser.

Next Week’s Assignment: A close up of your kid’s favorite toy (More than one kid? Pick a toy or take lots of pics!)

Your turn!

If you want to participate, just a few things to note:

- Grab the badge (code is in column to the right):

- Feel free to write about what you captured. A funny story about it. A history on it. How you’ll remember it. What will you want to remember about that picture 20, 30, 40 years from now?

- Just a picture and a caption are fine too.

- Don’t worry if you “aren’t a good photographer.” Consider this practice. Plus, it’s about capturing the memory, not a pretty picture.

- Visit the blogger ahead of you and as many others as you have time for.

- Leave a comment below.

- Since this is a new meme, would you mind helping me spread the word? A tweet, a Facebook like, anything. Thanks- you rock!

1 Stay At Home Babe March 3, 2011 at 6:10 am

First of all, I used to have that lamp. The dinging drove me nuts.

Secondly, I totally posted all of my shamefulness in my photo today. What an assignment! I may shy away from this meme in the future! :)

Third, I tried to link up but it told me the linky is closed. It doesn’t like me.

2 melissa March 3, 2011 at 6:36 am

Oops! The linky is open now– that was my bad! I’m sure it’ll like you now. I’m off to see your shamefulness!

3 liz March 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

We have the same set up of the master down and the kids upstairs. I have a white basket that has diapers and wipes, but mine is on “display” on our mantel for all to admire! ha!
liz recently posted..Do You Speaking Mork &38 Mindy

4 Alessandra@ Tribal Times March 3, 2011 at 8:25 am

We have this picture that one of our son’s took while on dad’s shoulder at a They Might Be Giants concert. I loved it so much I framed it.
Alessandra@ Tribal Times recently posted..Fell might be giant

5 suzanne @ pretty swell March 3, 2011 at 10:06 am

This was such fun! Can’t wait to check out everyone else’s nightstands. :)
suzanne @ pretty swell recently posted..Small Fry’s new favorite word and mommy’s latest cause for a glass of wine

6 Fadra March 3, 2011 at 10:27 am

There are some eerie similarities between our nightstands. But I guess it’s what most people have: clock, lamp, unread books. I’m curious to see if that’s what I’ll find on everyone else’s!

7 Crazy Me March 3, 2011 at 10:35 am

My first time visiting! Love this idea and can’t wait to do my own post.
I used to always keep diapers/wipes on my nightstand for the middle of the night changings, always makes it easier for the sleepy momma! Love the journal idea, I need to put one by my bed, I am always thinking of stuff that I need to do when I lay down and then I forget!
Crazy Me recently posted..Stream of Consciousness Sunday

8 Alissa March 3, 2011 at 10:48 am

Personally I think everyone should have a microphone on their nightstand, sort of the modern equivalent of a bell, no?

Sorry about the “ding-y” lamp pull, that would annoy me too.

9 Rajean March 3, 2011 at 11:01 am

Melissa,
What a great little idea. A peak into what either makes us alike or stand apart. I have a lamp on my nightstand that has a chain pull with a ball at the end that makes the same ting, ting, ting, and I actually think we got it at some exclusive shop – a splurge. ha. I am jealous of the first floor master, I love that concept. Will share this little meme.
Rajean recently posted..rajean- Just watched Oprahs post Oscars show Katy Perry is more impressive by the minute- very inspiring to the PS22 kids choir Genuine

10 Charisse March 3, 2011 at 11:39 am

I want to do this. I found your blog from @allthingsfadra and now I want to read you and join the Thursday fun. But..I will not be home until much later today….My nightstand is a crazy mess – to me – bu we will see. :)

11 Andrea March 3, 2011 at 11:57 am

So I’ve seen THREE so far and am mortified to share mine. But I did anyway!!! And I can’t seem to copy your button code, so I just linked up to you within my post. Don’t know what’s wrong, probably just me. :)
Andrea recently posted..PYHO- Whats on my mind

12 Minivan Mama March 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Love this idea and had fun with it! Could not get the link to work for me but wanted to participate anyways. Also, love the books you are pretending to read. I’ve got a few of those myself! Look forward to future Everyday Moments
Minivan Mama recently posted..A Picture On My Nightstand

13 Veronica March 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Ah unread books. Story of my life. When do we get to read again? 5? 10 years?
Veronica recently posted..P’s First Haircut I did it myself &amp he isn’t bald!

14 NainaDG March 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I absolutely love seeing everyone’s night stands. I like your Diaper organizer thingy, so nice and modern.

15 Melisa March 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I too had a hard time with the button code…would not let me copy it!

If I had been home my nightstand would have looked rather similar…the clock, a lamp, books…

16 Kelly Jernigan March 4, 2011 at 10:06 am

I was a day late this time, but have finally linked up! What a fun weekly challenge – I am really enjoying looking at everyone’s nightstands :)
Kelly Jernigan recently posted..Capture the Everyday- Whats On Your Nightstand

17 Autumn March 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

Ahhh – I don’t have a nightstand, and couldn’t figure out something creative to do this week. (…short of building a new nightstand, and I’m no good at carpentry!) I guess I’ll have to just jump right in to next week’s assignment!

18 Monica March 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Pathetic Poster here…I have so missed reading and commenting on your posts! I look forward to participating in next weeks challenge!! I think that this meme is a wonderful idea!! Thank you!!

19 Tina @ Life Without Pink March 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm

When I can finally get caught up I am going to participate…just give me a year or two, lol. Love this idea!
Tina @ Life Without Pink recently posted..Girls’ Lunch Out – Social Media Networking Event

20 Debra Key December 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

(…short of building a new nightstand, and I’m no good at carpentry!) I guess I’ll have to just jump right in to next week’s assignment! The dinging drove me nuts. But I guess it’s what most people have: clock, lamp, unread books.
Debra Key recently posted..Cancer Tips