Just Call Me the Crazy Crafty Mom Who Spends Too Much Time on Birthdays

Kids’ birthdays are a big deal on my side of the family. I’m not sure why we get so into them but we do. Our spread-out families typically travel for a party and we decorate to a T.

This year is extra special for the Roo household. Little Roo turns one (ZOMG!) and Big Roo turns a very big four. If you remember, my kids have the SAME BIRTHDAY three years apart so February 23 is one very important day around here.

Being that I’m a sucker for first birthdays, I wanted Little Roo to have his own birthday party. Will he remember it? Only in pictures. And he probably won’t give a crap. But it’s important to me to throw him a bash as crafty as I did for Big Roo… at least for this year.

And how left out would Big Roo feel if I did a party for Little Roo and not for him? Probably like turd. So what’s a mama to do?

Throw them ONE party and call it a day?

That’s a great idea… but that’s not how the crafty side of me rolls. Birthdays are not only a time to get all gushy about the kids growing up, it’s also a time for me to pretend like I’m Martha Stewart and get my craft on.

There I said it.

Birthdays are for me too.

There’s something about playing with paper, glue and scissors that just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

SO, I’m throwing TWO differently themed parties ON THE SAME DAY.

BACK TO BACK, people.

Yes, I-AM-NUTS.

Each party is 1.5 hours long because everyone who will be at Little Roo’s party will stay for Big Roo’s. Then some of Big Roo’s friends from school will just show up for his party. I have family who will switch out some decorations and plates but some of the stuff will be the same (I think I’ll decorate one room for Big Roo and one for Little Roo).

On top of all this, I’m doing this on a relatively tight budget. I’ll splurge a little on the baby’s cake but for the most part, I’m making 90% of the decorations myself.

Like so. I designed their invitations and printed them at home:

And I also have a crafty mess of supplies- some new, some old- ready for me to go all Martha on them.

Crafty? Absolutely. Crazy? Um, yes. Stupid? I sure hope not. Who cares as long as I’m having craftastic fun with it?

Some people bake for those they love. I craft.

For the record… I WILL NEVER REPEAT THIS DUAL PARTY FEAT.

So that only makes me half crazy, right?

Comments

Not crazy, just crazy ambitious. I get so stressed out about the one party, so good luck to you! But birthdays are a big deal in my family too. We love to throw huge awesome themed parties with great cakes & goodies. I got so much crap from “friends” for my sons first birthday, but honestly even if he won’t remember it I will. And it’s just apart of my love language I want to make the day as special as I possibly can for him. Even if we have to eat PB&J for a week to pay for it (kidding)
    Alexandria recently posted..30 Days of truth-Day 5-Legacy

You are a brave woman! But I get it. I get into birthday parties big time, too. My mother always threw fabulous birthday parties for me and my sisters and I have such fond memories of them. My girls’ birthdays are 4 days apart 2 yrs apart. I did throw them a joint birthday for their 1st and 3rd. I figured it was the last time I’d ever be able to do that…Good luck with it!
    Anne recently posted..I was wrong

Glad I’m not the only one! My sister was born on Christmas and me near Thanksgiving so we often had a combined party. We loved it and we were about 2 years apart.

I made them in Photoshop, but you could use Photoshop Elements or another program like it (much cheaper than the full PS but will lots of capabilities).

Kudos to you for your back-to-back crafty efforts.

My kids were born 24 months and two weeks apart…so the first year I had to contend with two parties – plus nursing and working and trying to be a fabulous (or decent or at least not terrible) wife –

I went a little nuts.

For the next two years, I combined the parties. But not cute like you. I got a giant cake split down the middle: One year it was Little Mermaid/Incredible Hulk; the next it was Barbie/Spiderman. Placed on the dining room table, the cake served as a divider – like siblings putting a tape line across their room. The decorations had to stay on their own side, as did the coordinating balloons and paper goods.

One gender-neutral jump jump, six pizzas and a couple dozen of our best friends later?

I went a little nuts.

As it turns out, birthday parties are stressful for me. Can’t teach an old dog new ways of handing out goodie bags.

So I envy your crafty nature. And I wish you good luck. Your boys will love it.

Now AND in pictures.
    julie recently posted..Today call me rinsed

Awww thanks. I grew up being the writer of the family not the artsy one. I can’t draw to save my life but I love putting crafty stuff together.

Those are pretty impressive invites you created. I admire you for all that work. Birthdays are a big deal and it looks like you did a great job with them!

You are the birthday mom I aspired to be and never was! I love your idea about doing the back-to-back parties to make them both special.

Love the invites, too!
    Sherri recently posted..Got Mind

Thanks Sherri! I think some people think I’m crazy but I don’t care. It’s just for this year and I really wanted to do a cute theme for the baby. Probably the last time I’ll get to do a cute birthday– before long it’ll be Transformers and Superheroes!

I don’t think I knew your boys were born on the same day! How exciting! I love the owl theme for little roo! The Boy turns one in May and I’m already worried about how to celebrate it!

How special is it that the boys get to share their birthdays…and how crazy it must be for a mom!! Good luck…I have a feeling, if anyone can handle it, it’s you!! Invitations look great!! Can’t wait to see the finished decorations!!

Thanks Monica! I’ll definitely post the decor and maybe even a tutorial or two if anyone’s interested.

Oh you should see my sister – the artist of the family – go all out. She once made fish out of balloons and streamers– it was gorgeous!

You are one badass mama! :-) I think you will do great. And from folk I know, this will be a first ever done. (I actually asked my friends had they ever done or even thought to do a back to back party..I got the crazy side eye, lol.) I can’t wait to hear how it goes and see pictures.
    Keva recently posted..Almond Chicken from Hell

LOL– I get the crazy side eye too. Since I am apparently making history, I will definitely post lots of pictures of the big day!

Love the invites and imagine that all the other crafty things you put together will be adorable too! You may be crazy like a fox hosting two parties on the same day. At least you only have to get the house ready once and clean up once. In my world once is better than twice in the clean-up process! Hope the parties are fab!
    Alexia recently posted..Were Hittin the Road

oh… you *are* crazy. i’m quite sure of it. back to back parties?! totally crazy. AND totally genius. love it. and i can definitely relate to the crafty bone coming out at party time. i just did levi’s first birthday two weeks ago and had so. much. fun. i went all out (also on a tight budget though) and did lots of DIY. it turned out great. i loved making it a big deal – not only for his first year of life but for *our* first year of PARENTHOOD. all worthy of celebrating big, baby. looks like your parties are both set to be awesome. well done!!