A Tale of Two Birthday Parties

by melissa on February 21, 2011 · 38 comments

[pinit]

{wheewwwwwwwwwww}

That’s me exhaling. I did it. I planned and executed two birthday parties BACK-TO-BACK. We had no screaming babies and no tantrumy children. It was magical for the most part. I couldn’t believe it.

Seven spending-the-night guests. Over 25 people attending the parties. Wanna see what a day of two birthday parties looks like? Here are the highlights:

Little Roo’s Decorations

Remember all that craftiness I got myself into? Well, I’m SO happy with how it all turned out. I ended up putting most of it up the night before, which was a wise choice. My pendant banner (called a bunting I learned) is my absolute fave. That and the fortune cookies, which I filled with such wise fortunes as “There’s a poopy diaper in your future.” and “Good luck is the result of good crying fits.”

When Babies Attack

Apparently Little Roo wasn’t interested in a cute posed picture with the ‘rents.

Smashing the Cake

By far the best part of a baby’s first birthday party is smashing up a cake. We got a cake to match the invitation and a mini smash cake to match!

Both were from Tartlette Treats here in Raleigh and they were super tasty. We got lots of compliments on the cakes.
While the baby cake was cute as could be, the fondant wasn’t soft enough for little hands so we tore it off and let him tear into the inside. And by tear, I mean smash-grab-devour-rub-his-belly-with it.

And if that weren’t messy enough, Little Roo went wild and crazy and dropped the cake on the floor.

We finished up the cake just in time for Big Roo’s friends to arrive. I refilled the food trays while my sisters changed out a couple of decorations but for the most part we had two separate rooms decorated. I decided it would be SO much easier that way. Thank goodness I knocked some sense into myself.

Big Roo’s Decorations

I didn’t do as much for Big Roo because, well, it’s not his first birthday. I forgot to get pics of the little circles for the windows but you can get the point from these.

Long Live the Bounce House

Ah the bounce house. A friend gave this to us years ago and we break it out every so often. Unfortunately, it was DIR-TEE when I unpacked it so I spent, oh, two long hours on Friday scrubbing this thing down. I wasn’t about to come up with a way to keep 10+ four year olds entertained without it.

It was a huge hit but so was chasing around my 10 year old nephew. Go figure!

Oh and the best part about the bounce house? STATIC CRAZY HAIR!

Big Roo’s Cake

So a four year old isn’t nearly as messy as a one year old, but it’s still cute to watch.

After all the friends left, we spent some time opening up mounds of gifts. It was just too much to try and do it with all those people there.

And finally, a shot of the fam. This was actually taken BEFORE the cake, the presents, the friends and all the madness that made up the day. I’m SO exhausted you guys but it was so worth it to see two little happy faces.

1 Jessica February 21, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Looks like a fabulous and exhausting day. Love all the pictures… adorable.
Jessica recently posted..How Would You Spend Brewsters Millions

2 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Thanks– we had an awesome time but felt like I got hit by a truck the next day!

3 NainaDG February 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Rubbing the cake all over the belly is just too cute! Its quite a feat pulling off two b’day parties back to back, especially that look so cute and fun!

4 Lin February 21, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I think you deserve a medal! :-) What awesome birthday parties and what an awesome mommy! Love the static cling pics!

How did you make the bunting? I need to get started on one of those for Astroboy’s first birthday in August!
Lin recently posted..The Trouble with all the Breastfeeding Rhetoric

5 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I think I’m going to post a tutorial next week– it was super easy and didn’t require sewing (which is something I can’t do but wish I could).

6 Keri February 21, 2011 at 11:03 pm

So glad the day was a success! I hate that we missed the parties but glad the boys had an awesome day! Can’t wait to see you all soon and FINALLY meet Little Roo!

7 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I can’t wait too!!

8 Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation February 21, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Awwwwww! Mel!! I love it!! VERY cute pictures! Sadie turns 4 tomorrow and the party is Saturday. God help me!!!!
Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation recently posted..Giving up Control

9 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Haha– oh yes, parties with 4 year olds… crazy but fun! I didn’t know their b-days were so close to each other. cool!

10 Kelly February 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm

This looks like so much fun – I’m totally impressed! I love the pics of Little Roo with his cake – the first cake eating is always awesome to watch!!! Oh, and if we had that bounce house here, we might not ever leave our house – my son would freak!!!
Kelly recently posted..My Friday Frills – Installment 3

11 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Yep, the kids totally loved it! We’re procrastinating on packing it back up though– it’s a big pain!

12 Keva February 22, 2011 at 6:55 am

You pulled it off without a hitch!! YOU ROCK, and Kick ass mama! The kids had fun and I especially love the murder of the cake. Too cute. Btw you have a beautiful family.
Keva recently posted..Pasty Butt

13 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Thanks so much– yes, we loved watching him with that cake!

14 Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) February 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

So much fun! I love all the decorations and it looks like everyone had a blast. Great job!
Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) recently posted..Pregnant or Productive Pick one

15 morgan February 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

I love when I see people really celebrating their kids! We have big, homemade parties, too … it’s part of our gift to them! Such fun memories and wonderful pictures!

Visiting from SITS :)
morgan recently posted..Creatures of Habit

16 Erin Lane February 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

I am in love with the static hair pictures! Glad it was a fabulous day. I am beyond impressed.
Erin Lane recently posted..Prepping for Squoosh- The Similac Baby Journal iPhone App

17 Real Life Sarah February 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Oh, my gosh! Go YOU! Luckily, our birthdays are pretty well spread out through the year, but you did a fab job!! I love all your decorations!
Real Life Sarah recently posted..Ain’t Got Time to Die

18 Brittany at Mommy Words February 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Happy Birthday to your little guys! You know how much I love DIY parties and you did a fabulous job! Everything looks awesome!
Brittany at Mommy Words recently posted..On Death and Diving

19 Alessandra@ Tribal Times February 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m exhausted reading this! You did such a wonderful job. It looks like everyone had a blast. Hope the cleaning fairies showed up while you slept.
Alessandra@ Tribal Times recently posted..Snow day revisited

20 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I had some fairies to help me out– my mom, sisters, mom-in-law and a friend. SCORE!

21 liz February 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Oh wow – back-to-back parties had to be rough! And you guys went all out! The decorations were perfect and I love how they match even your blog! You definitely have a great sense of style.

Happy birthday to both your Roos, and now you should take a well-deserved break for another year. :)
liz recently posted..Why It&8217s OK to be a &8220Bad&8221 Blogger

22 Alexandria February 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm

i think it looks like you did a fantastic job! i can barely pull off the one party & live to tell about it. but you did TWO in a day. go you.
Alexandria recently posted..I heart my sponsors

23 Anne February 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Two parties in one day makes you the official Birthday Party Queen! The static hair is priceless! My girls would die to actually own a bouncy house. So will you do two on the same day next year? Or was this a once only thing??
Anne recently posted..Why I dread three day weekends

24 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Once only! I had fun doing it but man it was a lot of work. I’m not sure what I’ll do next year but I imagine they’ll have a combined party at some point!

25 Heather February 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Great job on the birthday party! I have a 2nd birthday for my son coming up in 17 days! YIKES! We haven’t even gotten gifts for the tike yet, but he does have everything already!
Heather recently posted..The Rise of The Middle East

26 melissa February 22, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I think you’d have time to order this but we got Big Roo a superhero cape and mask from Baby Pop: http://www.babypop.com/shop/

I wanted something that would encourage creativity and be original– it has his first initial on the back of the cape! Totally cute.

27 suzanne @ pretty swell February 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Awesome! You rock, mama! I smiled all the way through this post. Your decorations are just so creative and lovely, and the boys’ delight is evident. Love the cake shots! And the static hair! Looks like a HUGE success. Hope you’ve had a chance to relax with a glass of wine. :)
suzanne @ pretty swell recently posted..28 weeks- pop goes the belly button!

28 Alissa February 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm

You really outdid yourself. Those decorations are fantastic!

My favorite photo is the cake smear on the belly. Love it.

29 Tina @ Life Without Pink February 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm

The photos of Little Roo and you/hubby are so cute! My boys never want to take good photos either. Great job, the decorations came out awesome!

30 Lolli @ Better in Bulk February 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

I especially love Little Roo’s decorations and cake. LOVE! It looks like you VERY successfully pulled of both parties. I’m impressed!
Lolli @ Better in Bulk recently posted..Winning the Pinewood Derby

31 julie gardner February 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

LOVE this! (much better than a Barbie/Spiderman cake…)
My favorite part of this post?
The pictures of Little Roo going for your lips and his daddy’s ears…(what are these? what do they do? camera? what camera?)

They are always learning, aren’t they? And not worried at all about what we’re doing while they’re busy figuring out the world.

Oh. And the static. Gotta love the Bounce House Static.
What joyful pictures. Congratulations on the memories you made.
julie gardner recently posted..Today call me calloused

32 Melisa February 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Looks like a fantastic time! And you give me inspiration that I will be able to do 2 birthdays 22 days apart. I mean if you can do 2 in one day, my dilemma isn’t quite a dilemma, is it? ;-)
Melisa recently posted..Tuesday Tidbit

33 merranie February 23, 2011 at 12:15 pm

um, WOW. and some more WOW. i am beyond impressed!! 2 back to back parties is enough of an accomplishment if you used store-bought decorations, but your hand-made crafties are just beautiful. those boys are so lucky to have such a creative, organized, fun, and amazing mama! you go!

little roo rubbing cake on his belly, ADORABLE.

static cling pics, FANTASTIC.

34 Sherri February 23, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Oh, you really rocked those parties! I was in awe that you were doing the back-to-back thing, but you know it was probably the best thing you could’ve done!

Congrats, and what a great family pic at the end!
Sherri recently posted..Guest Post – In Pursuit of Martha Points

35 Mom's Small Victories September 16, 2011 at 10:36 pm

you are one brave soul having two parties on the same day! they looked Amazing! i love the cakes and the decorations. i will have to try out the bunting you did, i also have no sewing skills whatsoever and it was so very adorable…LOVE the mickey one too!
Mom’s Small Victories recently posted..Feel Good Friday: Coups for Troops Donation

{ 3 trackbacks }