A Tale of Two Birthday Parties

[pinit]

{wheewwwwwwwwwww}

That’s me exhaling. I did it. I planned and executed two birthday parties BACK-TO-BACK. We had no screaming babies and no tantrumy children. It was magical for the most part. I couldn’t believe it.

Seven spending-the-night guests. Over 25 people attending the parties. Wanna see what a day of two birthday parties looks like? Here are the highlights:

Little Roo’s Decorations

Remember all that craftiness I got myself into? Well, I’m SO happy with how it all turned out. I ended up putting most of it up the night before, which was a wise choice. My pendant banner (called a bunting I learned) is my absolute fave. That and the fortune cookies, which I filled with such wise fortunes as “There’s a poopy diaper in your future.” and “Good luck is the result of good crying fits.”

When Babies Attack

Apparently Little Roo wasn’t interested in a cute posed picture with the ‘rents.

Smashing the Cake

By far the best part of a baby’s first birthday party is smashing up a cake. We got a cake to match the invitation and a mini smash cake to match!

Both were from Tartlette Treats here in Raleigh and they were super tasty. We got lots of compliments on the cakes.
While the baby cake was cute as could be, the fondant wasn’t soft enough for little hands so we tore it off and let him tear into the inside. And by tear, I mean smash-grab-devour-rub-his-belly-with it.

And if that weren’t messy enough, Little Roo went wild and crazy and dropped the cake on the floor.

We finished up the cake just in time for Big Roo’s friends to arrive. I refilled the food trays while my sisters changed out a couple of decorations but for the most part we had two separate rooms decorated. I decided it would be SO much easier that way. Thank goodness I knocked some sense into myself.

Big Roo’s Decorations

I didn’t do as much for Big Roo because, well, it’s not his first birthday. I forgot to get pics of the little circles for the windows but you can get the point from these.

Long Live the Bounce House

Ah the bounce house. A friend gave this to us years ago and we break it out every so often. Unfortunately, it was DIR-TEE when I unpacked it so I spent, oh, two long hours on Friday scrubbing this thing down. I wasn’t about to come up with a way to keep 10+ four year olds entertained without it.

It was a huge hit but so was chasing around my 10 year old nephew. Go figure!

Oh and the best part about the bounce house? STATIC CRAZY HAIR!

Big Roo’s Cake

So a four year old isn’t nearly as messy as a one year old, but it’s still cute to watch.

After all the friends left, we spent some time opening up mounds of gifts. It was just too much to try and do it with all those people there.

And finally, a shot of the fam. This was actually taken BEFORE the cake, the presents, the friends and all the madness that made up the day. I’m SO exhausted you guys but it was so worth it to see two little happy faces.

Comments

Rubbing the cake all over the belly is just too cute! Its quite a feat pulling off two b’day parties back to back, especially that look so cute and fun!

I think I’m going to post a tutorial next week– it was super easy and didn’t require sewing (which is something I can’t do but wish I could).

2. Keri says

So glad the day was a success! I hate that we missed the parties but glad the boys had an awesome day! Can’t wait to see you all soon and FINALLY meet Little Roo!

Haha– oh yes, parties with 4 year olds… crazy but fun! I didn’t know their b-days were so close to each other. cool!

3. Kelly says

This looks like so much fun – I’m totally impressed! I love the pics of Little Roo with his cake – the first cake eating is always awesome to watch!!! Oh, and if we had that bounce house here, we might not ever leave our house – my son would freak!!!
    Kelly recently posted..My Friday Frills – Installment 3

Yep, the kids totally loved it! We’re procrastinating on packing it back up though– it’s a big pain!

You pulled it off without a hitch!! YOU ROCK, and Kick ass mama! The kids had fun and I especially love the murder of the cake. Too cute. Btw you have a beautiful family.
    Keva recently posted..Pasty Butt

I love when I see people really celebrating their kids! We have big, homemade parties, too … it’s part of our gift to them! Such fun memories and wonderful pictures!

Visiting from SITS :)
    morgan recently posted..Creatures of Habit

Oh wow – back-to-back parties had to be rough! And you guys went all out! The decorations were perfect and I love how they match even your blog! You definitely have a great sense of style.

Happy birthday to both your Roos, and now you should take a well-deserved break for another year. :)
    liz recently posted..Why It&8217s OK to be a &8220Bad&8221 Blogger

Two parties in one day makes you the official Birthday Party Queen! The static hair is priceless! My girls would die to actually own a bouncy house. So will you do two on the same day next year? Or was this a once only thing??
    Anne recently posted..Why I dread three day weekends

Once only! I had fun doing it but man it was a lot of work. I’m not sure what I’ll do next year but I imagine they’ll have a combined party at some point!

I think you’d have time to order this but we got Big Roo a superhero cape and mask from Baby Pop: http://www.babypop.com/shop/

I wanted something that would encourage creativity and be original– it has his first initial on the back of the cape! Totally cute.

LOVE this! (much better than a Barbie/Spiderman cake…)
    My favorite part of this post?
    The pictures of Little Roo going for your lips and his daddy’s ears…(what are these? what do they do? camera? what camera?)

They are always learning, aren’t they? And not worried at all about what we’re doing while they’re busy figuring out the world.

Oh. And the static. Gotta love the Bounce House Static.
    What joyful pictures. Congratulations on the memories you made.
    julie gardner recently posted..Today call me calloused

Looks like a fantastic time! And you give me inspiration that I will be able to do 2 birthdays 22 days apart. I mean if you can do 2 in one day, my dilemma isn’t quite a dilemma, is it? ;-)
    Melisa recently posted..Tuesday Tidbit

um, WOW. and some more WOW. i am beyond impressed!! 2 back to back parties is enough of an accomplishment if you used store-bought decorations, but your hand-made crafties are just beautiful. those boys are so lucky to have such a creative, organized, fun, and amazing mama! you go!

little roo rubbing cake on his belly, ADORABLE.

static cling pics, FANTASTIC.