Easy Homemade Ornaments for Kids

by melissa on December 20, 2010 · 13 comments

Pin It

easy-kid-ornaments
Running out of time but need a crafty gift the grandparents will go ga-ga for? Let your kids unleash their creative spark with these fun and easy handmade ornaments!

After asking for ornament ideas from Twitter and Facebook, I decided I wanted to do clay ornaments and use cookie cutters to make holiday shapes. I got clay overload while staring at the clay section at Michaels. I had no clue what to use… until I eyed something called Pluffy. The package said it was non-toxic and for kids. Best thing was that it never dries out YET you can bake it to make something permanent. Score!

At first I was worried about how little there was per package (I only bought two packs). But we whipped out our trusty rolling pin and got to work…

1. Roll out the Pluffy to about twice the size (about 1/4 inch thick).

rolling out pluffy2. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes. Once we cut as much as we could, we balled it up and rolled it out again. With two packages of Pluffy, we ended up with 14 ornaments (a mix of big and little ones).

3. Bake for about 15 minutes (exact directions are on the package). We used a lollipop stick to poke holes for the ribbons.

baking pluffy4. Paint ornaments. We laid freezer paper down to protect the table from one enthusiastic painter.

painting pluffy ornaments5. Decorate! We used Diamond Dust and Stickles. Diamond Dust is like chunky glitter. It’s actually ground glass but is complete safe to work with as long as your kid doesn’t want to eat it! To adhere Diamond Dust to the ornaments, just use clear glue (we used Diamond Glaze) and then sprinkle the dust on top and tap off the excess. Stickles are little bottles of glitter glue that are super easy for the kids to use. We squeezed out dots, stripes and giant blobs of glitter. Big Roo enjoyed putting glitter dots on the Christmas trees in all sorts of colors.

ornament painting with stickles6. Let dry. Blobs of Stickles need about 8 hours to fully dry. You can see the infamous blue Stickle blob in step 7 (hint- it’s above the green dove). Here you can see a candy cane coated in Diamond Dust and two others decorated with Stickles.

7.Tie ribbons at the top of each ornament for hanging. I used leftover ribbon from a few Christmases ago.

pluffy ornaments for kids

Ta-da! Big Roo talked about making these for like a week afterwards. We may have just started another holiday tradition in our house. Do you have a favorite holiday craft?

1 JustMom420zaks December 20, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Those are so cool!
That Pluffy looks a lot easier to work with than the ole’ flour, water and salt mixture we used to use as kids.
Visiting from Fadra’s. She always has the best taste and your site is no exception!
JustMom420zaks recently posted..12 Days of Christmas

2 losing brownies December 21, 2010 at 12:23 am

I love how easy this is! I think I want to do it just for me since The Boy is way to young!

3 Tina @ Life Without Pink December 21, 2010 at 8:11 am

OMG love this idea!!! I usually take the boys to paint ornaments but we never got a chance to do this…so this will be perfect. Thanks for a great idea!

4 Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) December 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

I try to enjoy each moment as it comes, but man these make me want to fast forward to when Oscar can do this! I can’t wait to do crafts together!
Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) recently posted..Santa Is that you

5 suzanne @ pretty*swell December 21, 2010 at 10:17 am

Oh my gosh, this post comes at the perfect time!!! I’m planning to make dough ornaments with Small Fry tomorrow, but the tutorial I found online calls for making your own dough and baking for 6 HOURS. I’ve been trying to figure out how to incorporate this into our day, around meals, nap, etc. But now, I am totally heading over to Michael’s for some Pluffy. Thanks for the awesome tutorial!!
suzanne @ pretty*swell recently posted..19 weeks- things that make me happy

6 Donna December 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm

These look awesome! There’s no way I’ll find time to get them done before Christmas, but we might make some after the holidays. It looks like they turned out a lot better than the cinnamon ones we tried last year. Thanks for the tips!

7 Andrea December 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Sounds like a perfect way to make a holiday keepsake! Think we may have to get some Pluffy and make some on Christmas day!
Andrea recently posted..Sharing a Spoon- Oreo Cookie Balls

8 Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation December 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm

HOW CUTE!! I love this idea! I am totally doing this next year with my kids. I am all tapped out this week!
Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation recently posted..Family Christmas Santa Dinner Gone Wrong

9 Theta Mom December 21, 2010 at 9:46 pm

What an awesome idea!!

10 Ashley @ Just Another Mom of 2 December 22, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Tina mentioned these in her post, and I’m so glad I clicked over! I love this idea- we just did painted ones, these look even better. How fun!
Ashley @ Just Another Mom of 2 recently posted..Ho Ho Holiday Swap- Christmas Magic

11 Alana October 31, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Love this tutorial! Can’t wait to try it with my two little ones. Thanks for sharing!
Alana recently posted..25% off Britax Marathon Convertible Car Seat!

{ 2 trackbacks }